Friday 15 August 2014

Like Crazy a true love story


" I thought I understood it...but I didn't
   Only the smudgeness of it...the eagerness of it
        The idea of it...of you and me "

These words are in the trailer for "Like Crazy" and i think they sum up the idea of love. I'm not going to go all soppy and start talking about love as some big romantic gesture...we are in the 21st century. Im not even thinking about marriage or babies or anything as serious as that, just love and what defines the relationship you may have at 15 or 16.

I've got friends with boyfriends and friends without, myself coming under the without category *sad face*. Though I've found myself not knowing what to do. I mean who teaches you what to do, what to say, how to act and the most important: what not to do. It's like a secret code that your either given or you spend years trying all the different orders of numbers until you get into the safe, or something else if we are going to be more literal ;) I am just about to open the safe though I don't think I've quite got the numbers in the right order yet, and coming from an all girls school, talking to a boy is frankly one of the most terrifying experiences I go through at the moment. It's like my brain goes into overdrive and I always over think: does he like me, why is he looking at me, should I talk to him, should I ask him out...no I'll just smile, wait, is he smiling back...he's walking away, does he want me to follow? stuff like that is never a good way to think. I've learnt that you can't think of yourself as the only person in the world. If you think like that you'll become overconfident and really embarrass yourself.

I'm not saying don't be confident...have some confidence but be wary of what the boy your talking to could actually be thinking, rather than what you want him to think, which is probably an extract from a rom-com rather than an actual 21st century occurrence. But don't worry, that's what we are all led to believe.

Flashed in front of our eyes, film after film showing happy endings. I think that's why "Like Crazy" is such a good film because it ends subjectively. Some may believe their relationship will improve, but really it shows how there is no perfect ending which I think is an important message to show. Yes there is love in the world, but there is also hardship and that is what makes us stronger. Also the words "I thought I understood it...but I didn't" convey what many people go through at the start, middle and end of a relationship plus anywhere in between. But why should you understand? Schools are quick to teach sex education but they miss out the step before that: actually meeting a guy who wants to do that with you. Though I don't blame them, I wouldn't know where to start. And I guess that's what's tricky, understanding "the smudgeness of it...the eagerness of it" and all that. Knowing what to say, what to do, how to act and what not to do, it all comes with time. I still haven't perfected it but I'm better than I was...though the biggest mistake I make is getting desperate. Wanting someone, anyone, so much that I launch myself onto any boy I see, but that isn't how it works.

Patience is a virtue and with patience comes understanding. Rushing in "Like Crazy" leads to heart break and realisation that you don't really know the situation you are in...something you really should avoid if at all possible.

So to sum up this rather gushy post, I would advise to step back and see the situation you are in, and know that you are not alone. Everyone went through the time you are going through now and it's always good to learn from mistakes, though if you don't want to make any find a friend with a boyfriend and start observing...obviously not in a stalkerish way though!

Thank you for reading, hope it helped! bye for now xxxx

No comments: